What is the correct tax treatment for a self-employed individual?

If you pay a self-employed individual more than $600.00 (not including reimbursements or housing allowance), you must give the individual a 1099-MISC.  There is no place to report housing allowance on form 1099-MISC.

Attention: Tax Law is subject to interpretation. Please be advised that the material contained on this Web site is for information only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. The Stewardship Services Foundation endeavors to update the information on this site on a regular basis, but cannot guarantee its accuracy at all times.