Tax Checklist

The following items should be included when you mail us your completed Tax Data Questionnaire.  Please do not fax or email any documents.

Please fill out the questionnaire completely and do not write “see enclosed” or “see attached sheet” on the questionnaire instead of filling it out.  Please list a social security number for each person.  It is helpful if you remove your documents from their original envelopes before inserting them into the package to mail to us.

(This checklist is for your information only, you do not need to mail this form to us.)

Please do not use staples when mailing us the following items.

Your employer should provide you a W-2 with several copies.  Please include at least 3 of each of your W-2’s.  Many times the W-2’s are printed with 3 or 4 copies of the W-2 on one page – in which case we would only need the one page.  Do not send us 3 copies of 1099 or 1098 forms.

Please include a copy of each 1099 you receive.  These include 1099-DIV, 1099-B, 1099-R, 1099-HSA, 1099-MSA, 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC, 1099-K, and 1099-Q.

  • If you receive a 1099-B we will need to know your basis (usually your original purchase price).  If you do not know your basis and this information is not on the 1099-B, please ask your investment company for either a cost basis statement or a statement of gains and losses.
  • If you received a distribution from a retirement account we must have your 1099-R in order to properly prepare your return.  Be sure to fill out the 1099-R section on page 3 of our tax data questionnaire and if your distribution is from a traditional IRA, please include Form 5498(s).
  • If you have a Medical Savings Account or a Health Savings Account be sure to include your 1099(s) and fill out question #12 on page 5 of the tax data questionnaire.
  • Please list all income from your 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC on the tax data questionnaire page 2, under Schedule C.  There is also space to list any expenses you have that are related to the 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC income.  If the chart is inadequate for your needs please fill out a Schedule C and mail it with your completed questionnaire.
  • If you receive a 1099-Q please let us know the amount you paid for room & board and the year end value of the account.

Along with your 1099-R, please send us form 5498 if you have IRA distributions.

Please send us your tax returns from the previous year if we did not prepare your taxes.  If we prepared your taxes then we already have copies.  If you use Turbo Tax, H & R Block or a similar service you may have pages of additional statements and backup…we only need the official IRS forms and schedules.

NEW:  HEALTH CARE INFORMATION If you maintained qualified health care coverage the entire year then we do not need any information from you.  Do not check the boxes on Question 9 or 10 on the tax data questionnaire.   Qualified health insurance coverage includes insurance with essential minimum benefits as defined by the affordable care act.

If you obtained insurance through the Marketplace (federal or state exchanges online) you will receive form 1095-A.  Please include this form and if you were not insured for the entire year include the specific months you were not covered for each family members.  WE DO NOT NEED A COPY OF 1095-B or 1095-C.

FORM 4361
If you have filed Form 4361 and we do not yet have a copy please include a copy of your approved 4361 for our files.   You do not need to include a copy if we already have one.

If you bought a home please include copies of your settlement statement (the settlement statement shows a list of the closing costs and is usually 1 or 2 pages).  PLEASE do not send all of your closing documents.  If you refinanced your home your points are deductible so please include your settlement statement.  If you sold a home we need a copy of both the closing statement from the original purchase and the closing statement from the sell if any one of the following are true:  1.  You had rental income from renting out the home or  2.  You sold your home for more than $500,000 ($250,000 if one owner) or  3.  You did not live in the home for any 2 years of the past 5 years.  If you lived in the home for 2 of the past 5 years and you never collected rent for renting out the home then do not include closing statements but rather list the number of years on question 3, page 5, of the tax data questionnaire.

If you have a rental please include a separate sheet of paper listing your income and itemizing expenses.  If this is the first year of the rental include the building value (land is not depreciable) and the month and year the property became a rental.  Note:  A mortgage payment is not a deductible expense…mortgage interest, real estate taxes and insurance are valid rental expenses.  Be sure to check the box on the questionnaire and let us know if you spend at least 250 hours providing rental services.

If you have a completed an adoption please include a separate sheet of paper listing your child’s full name and the date the adoption was finalized.  Let us know if the adoption was considered a “special needs” adoption by the state and if not, include the amount spent in qualified adoption expenses.  Qualified adoption expenses include reasonable and necessary adoption fees, court costs and attorney fees, traveling expenses (including amounts spent for meals and lodging while away from home), and other expenses that are directly related to and for the principal purpose of the legal adoption of an eligible child.


If you believe you will receive a Form K-1 please wait until you receive it before mailing us your return.

Feel free to mail us your return using First Class mail.  If you wish to meet the April deadline, mail your information so that we receive it by March 25th.  Please mail everything together in one envelope even if you have to wait until after the deadline to get all of your documents.  If you wish to expedite your return priority mail is fine.  Certified or return receipt mail takes longer to reach us.  Please allow extra time if you choose to use these options.  We mail your return back to you via regular First Class mail.  Do not send us any return envelopes or postage unless you wish your return expedited.  If you do wish to receive your return quicker then include the postage-paid express envelope of your choice (FedEx, UPS, etc.).

Because we do not have fees for our services we are often asked:  “Can we contribute to your ministry in appreciation for all that you do for Pastors, Churches, and Missionaries?”  Yes, you can.  Although it is not a requirement your contribution is greatly appreciated as tax laws have become more complex.

Most missionaries prefer to use a U.S. address on their tax returns.  If you were to receive an IRS notice you would have limited time to respond so whatever address you use should allow you to receive your mail in a timely fashion.  If you do use a U.S. address please provide us with your foreign address as well.  Do not forget to answer question 16 on page 6 of the questionnaire.  Please be aware that if you have income from foreign sources or foreign assets or accounts we cannot prepare a tax return for you.

If you are in the U.S. on a R-1 VISA be sure to let us know.  Please note that we cannot prepare returns for you if you have income or deductions from foreign countries.  We are a small non-profit with limited resources.  We do not have the ability to commit funds toward research and development.  We have not expanded into the area of foreign income or deductions and do not have knowledge in that area.

Attention: Tax Law is subject to interpretation. Please be advised that the material contained on this Web site is for information only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. The Stewardship Services Foundation endeavors to update the information on this site on a regular basis, but cannot guarantee its accuracy at all times.